Friday, August 2, 2013

D.I.Y. ring slings

making ring slings


My first ever sling which I ordered when my daughter was around two months old could do with some modifications. As I mentioned in an earlier post, there were parts about it that I didn't like. I found it difficult to adjust, the fabric was stiff and rough and a little too narrow for me. I searched on how to make your own ring slings and there came up hundreds of blogs and sites. The rings were available online. They come in either aluminum or nylon. My first sling had aluminum ones but I chose nylon because I thought it would make adjusting easier and I didn't like the aluminum rings clinking, although the nylon looks chunky. I purchased the trial pack that had one pair of each size (small, medium, large) which came out a lot cheaper. I found several tutorials on how to make a no-sew ring sling (Here's one.) and so I tried it using my lavender shawl. Okay, I did make a few stitches but only to keep the shawl in place because it was short and I didn't want to keep on checking if it might be sliding off. 

For the second one, I bought a cotton fabric that was soft, not too light, just thick enough. I made it wider but shorter. Before I used any sling, I thought the long tail would look cool especially as it swayed but turns out it was a bother. 




Sewing a ring sling is very simple. I just decided the length and width of my fabric (1.9x.0.80M), finished the raw edges, folded the pleats on one end and then secured the two rings by sewing the pleated end together.

The no-sew sling is easy to make if you know how to thread an ordinary sling. Basically, you just thread both ends of the fabric. What could make using this difficult is the space between the rings. This sling is my alternative when the other ones are in the laundry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment